What is a Blog?
As defined by Google, a blog is as follows. Often a blog is created as a public diary or trips or interesting findings.
- noun: A personal website or web page on which an individual records opinions, links to other sites, etc. on a regular basis.
- verb: To add new material to or regularly update a blog. “it’s about a week since I last blogged.”
Any Bellevue College faculty or staff member can log in to the BC Commons and create a blog/website as they wish!
Steps to Create a Blog:
- Log in to the BC Commons. If you are logged in you should see your name or username in the upper right corner of the screen. If you are not logged in visit the login page.
- Go to the the ‘Blogs‘ page. This page lists all the blogs on the BC Commons. Check out what other people are doing!
- Click the ‘Create a Site‘ button (right next to the ‘Site Directory’ heading).
- Fill out your site options.
- Site name. This is the web address or ‘URL’ where your website will be located. Spaces and special characters are not allowed. Please keep your url short- it is much easier to tell your friends to visit commons.bellevuecollege.edu/butterfiles/ than it is to tell them to visit commons.bellevuecollege.edu/butterfliesinthenorthwestandhowtocatchthem/. You can be more descriptive in the title!
- Site Title. This is what will show up at the top of every page on their site. This can have spaces and capital letters. Think of a short sentence that describes your site. This could be anything from ‘Bob’s Blog’ to ‘Butterflies in the Northwest and How to Catch Them’.
- Privacy. Would you like this site to show up in the Blogs directory and on search engines like Google and Bing? Select Yes. Otherwise select No. Please note- even if you select No anyone will still be able to see your website!
- Template. This is the starting theme for your blog. You will be able to change this later.
- When you are done click ‘Create Site’
- You now have a blog! You can create Posts, Pages, insert images, and share with the campus and world!