It is highly encouraged for Instructors to have their syllabi available for public viewing via CANVAS.
In order for CANVAS syllabi to function on the A/H syllabi web site, Instructors will need to do the following:
• In CANVAS, on your class site, looking at the left menu, make sure the syllabus option is visible.
⇒ eLearning link for instructions. ⇐
• Mark the syllabus “public” located in the settings section (down at the bottom).
Canvas Syllabi Link Instructions (pdf file)
Making Syllabi public.
- Go into settings (located at the bottom on the left-hand menu).
- scroll down to “Visibility,” make sure the word “course” is in the box.
- Right beneath the Visibility box – check “Customize,”
- the word “syllabus” should be showing,
- make sure the word “public” is displayed
• After marking the syllabus “public,” go back to the syllabus page and copy the URL address and paste into a Request Center ticket under Arts & Humanities under the web posting option.. You may e-mail the link directly to Janis Juarez. For all ELI and Dev Ed syllabi please send to Seda Markarova.
Three CANVAS Syllabi examples:
Positive things about this new option:
• This is a way for syllabi to be more consistent throughout the division and campus.
• Changes are easily made on the CANVAS site, not having to submit revised, additional syllabi documents.
• Transparency – Students will get a glimpse of expected workload. Is very helpful in the decision process of what classes to take in any given quarter.
• Syllabi will be available to the public for future use.
• gives an efficient method for the college to track syllabi information.
• Reduces the amount of documents stored in the WordPress site.
* A&H started this practice for syllabi spring quarter 2015 . The goal is to phase this method in for fall quarter 2015 with at least 80% participation. The ELI Department deserves special recognition for they have met and exceeded all expectations with our goal.