Annual contract applications for Lecturer Faculty

(Email: January 5, 2021)

First, I want to congratulate those who recently gained Lecturer promotions. Thank you for your service to our students. Your hard work and efforts, and that of all adjunct faculty, are greatly appreciated.

One of the benefits of Lecturer status is that you may apply for an annual or multi-annual (up to 2-year) contract. It’s a quick form — I’ve attached one to this email, but you can also find it online here: Application for Annual Contract. To apply for an annual or multi-annual contract, you must turn in your request form to your dean by the 10th day of Winter quarter. This year that is by Friday, January 15, 2021. [Edit: Deadline extended to January 18] I will be working with the deans to help provide support and consistency with how annual contracts are awarded.

If you want to refresh your memory about the fine details on annual or multi-annual contracts, I’ve included section 14.3 of the faculty contract below. You can also see the full contact at this link: BCAHE Negotiated Contract.

Thank you for the work you do every day to support our students and for choosing Bellevue College as the place to share your expertise, knowledge, and passion. Please let me know if there are other ways I can help support you as adjunct faculty.  I hope you have a great start to Winter Quarter.

Information on Annual Contracts from section 14.3 of the faculty contract.

14.3. Annual and Multi-Annual Contracts

14.3.1. Eligibility and Criteria. Lecturer I’s and Lecturer II’s may request annual or multi-annual contracts of up to two (2) years in duration. Application for the following Academic year will be due by the 10th day of Winter quarter. The decision to award an annual or multi-annual contract will be made by the dean, following consideration of the recommendation of the faculty member’s program chair/director, including his/her evaluation of the program’s enrollment needs and resources and ongoing need for the faculty member’s demonstrated expertise over the recommended term of the contract. The dean’s decision to approve or deny a request for an annual or multi-annual contract, including the rationale for any denial, will be provided to the faculty member in writing.

14.3.2. Expiration and Termination of Annual or Multi-Annual Agreement Terms.

a. Annual or multi-annual contracts expire at the end of their term. Faculty members may request an additional contract – as provided in Section 14.3.1 but annual and multi-annual contracts contain no promise of renewal or employment beyond their term.

b. An annual or multi-annual contract may be terminated by the College during its term where there is sufficient cause. Such contracts may also be terminated where there is insufficient student demand or insufficient funding; provided that prior to terminating an annual or multi-annual contract in such circumstances, the College will provide the affected faculty member and the Association a minimum of thirty (30) days’ notice during which the parties will meet to discuss the circumstances and reasonable alternatives.